HOW DOES a typical Davao menu looks like to a typical food lover whose palate couldn’t resist those exotic native concoctions that go into the secret mix of a southern Pinoy cuisine ? Well, here are two lists of menus you can choose from that are served either hot or cold, and come with native Davao soup, carvery and dessert. If you’ve been to other provinces like Cebu, Negros, Panay, Bohol, Misamis, etc, you might try to find that distinctive Davao taste in these two menus that makes it far different from the rest :
MENU – 1
Cold servings :
1. Tinapa Pate — smoked fish pate
2. Sisig Terrine — roasted pork head terrine
3. Itlog na Maalat with Sundried Tomato Boursin – salted egg and sun dried tomato cheese spread
4. Kinilaw — marinated fish sashimi
5. Adobo Rilletes — preserved meat flakes flavoured with spiced garlic vinegar
6. Smoked Fish Wonton — crispy fried wantons stuffed with smoked fish and tropical salsa dip
Hot servings :
1. Kaldereta de Kabrito — a colonial-style braised goat stew with olives
2. Chicken Inasal Paella — grilled southern chicken flavoured with lemon-grass and spices in its own rice
3. Kare Kare with Alamang — peanut stewed beef and offal with salted shrimp paste.
4. Bangus sa Utaw — milkfish wrapped in soy bean skin with annatto sauce.
5. Adobo del Diablo —mixed meats cooked in garlic, vinegar and spices.
6. Pastel de Pichon — colonial-style pigeon pie
7. Bacalao Filipino — dried fish cooked with peppers and green plantains.
1. Sinigang na Baka — traditional sour soup with beef
2. Bulcachong — drunkards beef soup with corn and pate
1. Lechon with Liver Sauce — roast whole pig with grilled liver sauce.
2. Hamonado pork/chicken — festive ham style glazed pork or chicken
1. Tibok-Tibok — fresh milk and coconut pudding
2. Hopia baboy / Ube — Filipino Chinese mooncake
3. Bibingka — traditional coconut rice cake with salted egg and white cheese
4. Sansrival — traditional meringue torte with butter cream
5. Durian Sansrival — traditional meringue torte with durian flavored butter cream.
MENU – 2
1. Crab Fat Pate — made from crab fat with garlic and spices
2. Galantina — colonial style chicken loaf
3. Burong Manga — drunken green mangoes
4. Sinuglaw — pickled sashimi with grilled pork belly
5. Ensalada paborito — mango, tomato and onion salad with sautéed shrimp paste
6. Dinakdakan — spiced chopped pork head
1. Asadong baka — slow braised beef with annatto and spices
2. Pininyahang Manok — pineapple cooked chicken
3. Pastel — mixed chicken and tongue pie with mushrooms
4. Callos — colonial style braised tripe with peppers
5. Guinataang Hipon — spicy shrimps in coconut cream
6. Bringe — turmeric rice topped with adobo and Chinese sausages
7. Adobo Manuc Ating Dilo — braised chicken in spiced vinegar and turmeric
8. Adobong Tugak Ating Dilo — braised frog in spiced vinegar and turmeric
1. Sinigang na Hipon — sour soup of shrimps
2. Binacol — traditional spicy soup with coconut milk
1. Paella con Lechon — roast pig stuffed with Spanish rice
1. Leche Flan Gatas Kalabaw — traditional custard flan flavored with lime
2. Ube Halaya — sweet blue taro puree
3. Biko / Pirurutong — coconut black rice risotto
4. Mango Sansrival — traditional meringue torte with mango butter cream